Saturday, April 21, 2012

Reflections on Lifelong Wellness

Final Assignment for Body Strength & Tone ( Course Id HLAC-1013-001 )


Having started my journey to wellness several semesters prior to this class, I have already come a long way toward becoming healthy myself.  I’ve had many positive role models in my life that have not only set an example for me, but also pushed and pulled me along, when I found my resolve lagging. Watching Kerri, this semester, as she’s interacted with the class and lead us all toward a healthier lifestyle, I’ve learned that it’s important to share “wellness” with others.  Each of us has a great amount of power in the way we affect those around us. Take the opportunity to be an example of physical wellbeing. Encourage others in a positive manner to make healthy choices in food, exercise and attitude. On your journey to wellness take those you care about with you. Because what good is living forever, if you cannot enjoy it with those you love.

Also, make every day count. Each day you make the right choices is one step closer to the wellness you wish to achieve. Some days you’ll slip up. The binges happen. But you’ve just got to put that behind you the next day and reset your resolve. Every day is new.

I intend to share the healthy life style with everyone around me. During this semester, I have accepted an invitation to participate as a member of the wellness committee for my employer, USANA Health Sciences. Thus far, we’ve coordinated a healthy recipe contest, a volleyball tournament and come up with company sponsored incentives to encourage biometric / wellness screenings.  By example and active solicitation, I will encourage my friends, family and even strangers.
  
I will continue to exercise on a daily basis. Weight training 5 days a week is a major part of my lifestyle now and I don’t see that changing. On the weekends I put on my cardio shoes and run between 12 to 15 miles. The why of it, is simple. It makes me feel great afterwards. People look at you differently when you’re fit. Life is better.

I appreciated this course very much and thought that it was extremely well done.  The only suggestion I can think of would be to add a homework assignment for weekly progress tracking, including weight and key body measurements such as waist, hips, chest, biceps and thighs. I did this myself and it allowed me to see progress throughout the semester. Oh! Another idea might be to require students to keep a diet log using a tool like http://www.myfitnesspal.com. This free site/app is a simple way to track what you eat and the exercise you participate in. There was an extra credit assignment to perform a diet log for 3 days, but I think that assignment would be an excellent semester-long effort that would generate huge results, including the development of a good habit. Generally habits require at least 2 months to form (see http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2009/10/07/need-to-form-a-new-habit-66-days/)

To sum up, do something to improve your health every day. Drink less. Eat better. Exercise smart. Be consistent. Just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment